Submit movement and confirmation documents for hazardous waste or recyclables

Information about how to fulfil submission requirements

Environment and Climate Change Canada

Submit movement document

The movement document has six carbon-copies:

  • The Canadian importer/exporter must ensure that Copy 1 is submitted to the Minister (with Parts A and B completed) at one of the below addresses within 3 days of the shipment leaving Canada, the country of transit, or the country of export.
  • Consigner/shipper retains Copy 2.
  • A duplicate of the movement document (with Parts A and B completed) and the permit must be submitted to the customs officer, upon request.
  • Copy 3 must be submitted by the Canadian importer to the Minister at one of the below addresses within 3 days of delivery of the shipment arriving at the authorized facility. (All three Parts A, B, C must be completed.)
  • Copies 4 and 6 must be provided by the Receiver to the Carrier(s) and Shipper, respectively, upon receipt of the shipment.
  • Copies 4 and 6 must be retained by all carriers and the shipper at their principle place of business in Canada for a period of 3 years from the date the shipment entered or left Canada. (Parts A and B must be completed. Where multiple carriers are used, Part B must be completed by each carrier using the multiple carrier form.)
  • Copy 5 must be retained by the Canadian or foreign importer for a period of 3 years from the date the shipment enters or leaves Canada or the country of transit.
Submit confirmation document

The last step to fulfilling shipping responsibilities is to ensure that the Minister receives written confirmation that the hazardous wastes (HW) or hazardous recyclable materials (HRM) were properly disposed or recycled. Confirmation must be given within 30 days of disposal or recycling.

Confirmation must:

  • include the permit number, movement document reference number(s) and line item number(s);
  • state that the HW or HRM were disposed or recycled in accordance with the terms of the permit in a manner that protects the environment and human health against adverse effects; and
  • be signed and dated.

Send the written confirmation to the Minister at one of the addresses listed below.

The Canadian exporter or importer must keep a copy of the confirmation at their principal place of business in Canada for a period of three years after the day on which it is submitted to the Minister.

Confirmation of disposal or recycling is required for all permits except transits.

Contact us

By mail

Waste Reduction and Management Division
351 St. Joseph Boulevard, 9th Floor
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3


Notice 819-938-4553
Movements 819-938-4554

By phone

Notice 1-844-524-5295
Movements 1-844-524-5295

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: