Export and Import of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations - User Guide: chapter 16
Section 190 of CEPA authorizes the issuance of permits of equivalent level of environmental safety (PELES), which may be used to obtain a variance from the Regulations under specific conditions. Variances must be consistent under Canada’s international obligations, and are issued on a case-by-case basis.
When requesting a PELES for this purpose, the following information should be provided:
- the name of the regulation and specific sections of the regulation from which the variance is being requested
- the applicant’s complete contact information, including a Canadian address and the name of a contact person
- a description of the applicant’s activities/procedures, in order to provide a clear picture of what happens during a transboundary movement of hazardous waste or hazardous recyclable material under various scenarios
- a description of the hazardous waste or hazardous recyclable material to be transited
- an explanation and justification of the mechanism or alternate activity the applicant plans to use to provide a level of environmental safety equivalent to that provided by the regulation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: