Deadlines and most recent changes: National Pollutant Release Inventory
Reporting is mandatory for facilities that meet the requirements of the National Pullutant Release Inventory (NPRI) notice published in the Canada Gazette, Part I.
- Deadline for the 2016 calendar year: June 1, 2017
- Deadline for the 2017 calendar year: June 1, 2018
Changes to the reporting requirements
Several changes to the reporting requirements came into effect for the 2016 reporting year and continue to be in effect for 2017.
More information is available on the NPRI public consultation page.
The mass threshold for cobalt (and its compounds) has been reduced from 10 tonnes to 50 kilograms. The concentration threshold has been reduced from 1% to 0.1%.
Releases to water
There is a new requirement to report the concentration of substances released to surface waters:
- The average annual concentration of the NPRI substance in the effluent must be included when reporting a direct discharge to surface waters.
- Additional clarification must be provided for release estimates made when using the method detection limit including when it is used in the estimation.
The following 21 substances have been removed from Part 1, Group A of the list. NPRI reporting requirements no longer apply to these substances:
- C.I. Acid Green 3 (CAS RN 4680-78-8)
- C.I. Basic Red 1 (CAS RN 989-38-8)
- C.I. Direct Blue 218 (CAS RN 28407-37-6)
- C.I. Food Red 15 (CAS RN 81-88-9)
- Calcium cyanamide (CAS RN 156-62-7)
- Chlorendic acid (CAS RN 115-28-6)
- Dimethyl phenol (CAS RN 1300-71-6)
- 2,6-Dinitrotoluene (CAS RN 606-20-2)
- Dinitrotoluene (mixed isomers) (CAS RN 25321-14-6)
- Hexachloroethane (CAS RN 67-72-1)
- Isosafrole (CAS RN 120-58-1)
- p-Nitrophenol (and its salts) (CAS RN 100-02-7)
- Paraldehyde (CAS RN 123-63-7)
- Pentachloroethane (CAS RN 76-01-7)
- o-Phenylphenol (and its salts) (CAS RN 90-43-7)
- Propargyl alcohol (CAS RN 107-19-7)
- p-Quinone (CAS RN 106-51-4)
- Safrole (CAS RN 94-59-7)
- Styrene oxide (CAS RN 96-09-3)
- Tetracycline hydrochloride (CAS RN 64-75-5)
- Vinylidene chloride (CAS RN 75-35-4)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: