Deadlines and changes: reporting guide for the National Pollutant Release Inventory
2.1 Reporting Deadline
Reporting is mandatory for facilities that meet the requirements of the NPRI Notice published in the Canada Gazette, Part I.
The deadline for reporting to the NPRI for the 2016 calendar year is June 1, 2017.
The deadline for reporting to the NPRI for the 2017 calendar year is June 1, 2018.
2.2 Changes to the Reporting Requirements for 2016 and 2017
Several changes to reporting requirements have been made, which are in effect as of the 2016 calendar year. Information on the rationale for these changes is available on the NPRI Consultations web page.
Modifications to reporting thresholds
The mass threshold for cobalt (and its compounds) has been reduced from 10 tonnes to 50 kilograms, and the concentration threshold has been reduced from 1% to 0.1%.
Contextual information for water releases
The requirement to report the concentration of substances released to surface waters has been added. When a direct discharge to surface waters is reported, the average annual concentration (ppm) of the NPRI substance in the effluent is also required to be reported.
Additional clarification for release estimates made using the method detection limit (MDL) (explained in section 3.8.7 of this guide) also need to be provided, effective for 2016 reporting. This includes the MDL used in the estimation where applicable.
Twenty-one substances have been removed from the Part 1, Group A list. NPRI reporting requirements no longer apply to these substances:
- C.I. Acid Green 3 (CAS RN 4680-78-8)
- C.I. Basic Red 1 (CAS RN 989-38-8)
- C.I. Direct Blue 218 (CAS RN 28407-37-6)
- C.I. Food Red 15 (CAS RN 81-88-9)
- Calcium cyanamide (CAS RN 156-62-7)
- Chlorendic acid (CAS RN 115-28-6)
- Dimethyl phenol (CAS RN 1300-71-6)
- 2,6-Dinitrotoluene (CAS RN 606-20-2)
- Dinitrotoluene (mixed isomers) (CAS RN 25321-14-6)
- Hexachloroethane (CAS RN 67-72-1)
- Isosafrole (CAS RN 120-58-1)
- p-Nitrophenol (and its salts) (CAS RN 100-02-7)
- Paraldehyde (CAS RN 123-63-7)
- Pentachloroethane (CAS RN 76-01-7)
- o-Phenylphenol (and its salts) (CAS RN 90-43-7)
- Propargyl alcohol (CAS RN 107-19-7)
- p-Quinone (CAS RN 106-51-4)
- Safrole (CAS RN 94-59-7)
- Styrene oxide (CAS RN 96-09-3)
- Tetracycline hydrochloride (CAS RN 64-75-5)
- Vinylidene chloride (CAS RN 75-35-4)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: