2.5.4 If you are a victim of fraud

If you think your debit card or personal identification number (PIN) has been stolen, or you are a victim of some other fraud affecting your banking accounts, take steps to limit any losses:

For detailed suggestions on what to do if you are a victim of identity theft, see Identity Theft and Identity Fraud Victim Assistance Guide by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada monitors federally regulated financial institutions to ensure they comply with the debit card code. If you feel your financial institution doesn't respect the code, contact the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. If you think your provincially regulated trust company, credit union or caisse populaire is not following the consumer protection provisions under the law, contact the provincial or territorial regulator.

Page details

Date modified: