11.3.2 What kind of financial help do I need?

From: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

Not all financial professionals are right for all people. Use these questions to help you think about the type of financial help you want or need. When you look for professional advice, keep in mind your own limitations in knowledge, time, finances and other resources.

Financial help

1. Do I need help with a variety of financial matters or just one?

2. What do I want to do with my money?

3. How much do I know about managing my money?

4. How much money do I have to work with?

5. How much am I willing to pay for advice?


Many people who get paid a sales fee or commission when they sell investments call themselves financial planners. "Certified financial planner" professionals are regulated by the FP Canada and are entitled to use the designation CFP® after their name. FP Canada sets and enforces internationally recognized professional standards of competence, ethics and practices. The designation for financial planners in Quebec (F.Pl.) is regulated by the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF).

Make sure you find a financial professional who fits your goals, your level of knowledge, how much you have to work with, and how much you're willing to pay for help.

For more information, see the video Choosing a financial planner.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: