6.3.2 Choosing an insurance agent or broker

From: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

Dealing with a licensed agent or registered broker will help to ensure that he or she is properly trained and has the resources to provide you with the insurance services you need. You may wish to contact the insurance regulator in your province or territory to confirm that your agent or broker is licensed or registered to do business there. You can also consult the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada page on Federal oversight bodies and other regulators for a list of provincial and territorial insurance regulators.

Here are some questions you should ask an insurance broker or agent before you buy insurance:

  • Are you licensed by or registered with your provincial or territorial insurance regulator?
  • How long have you been in business?
  • Do you belong to a professional association, such as the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada or Advocis (the Financial Advisors Association of Canada)?
  • What qualifications and training do you have?
  • What services do you provide after selling the policy?
  • Can you provide references from other clients?


Never pay a fee to insurance agents or brokers. This is not a normal practice and could be a scam. Licensed insurance agents and brokers receive payment from the insurance company and generally do not charge fees.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: