Report on the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation offers strategy to support freshwater fishing industry in western and northern Canada
“The Government of Canada is committed to stakeholder focused solutions that promote the long-term viability of the freshwater fishing industry. I would like to sincerely thank all members of the Advisory Panel for their advice and their dedication to enhancing the inland fisheries in western and northern Canada. Our inland fisheries are of particular importance to Indigenous peoples in northern and remote communities, and together we must ensure our inland fisheries are sustainable and preserved for future generations.”
The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
“The inland fishery is an important element of Canada’s character and holds particular importance with Indigenous peoples and in northern and remote communities. The Panel has identified a structure that reflects the considerable value of the fishery, provides a mechanism for people most closely linked to its success to be involved in future decisions and planning, and ensures future generations have the opportunity to participate in the inland fishery. The Panel is very appreciative of the opportunity to participate in a subject that is so important to the economic and social fabric of many communities in western and northern Canada.”
Peter Vician, Chair, Ministerial Advisory Panel on the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation
- Created in September 2018, the Ministerial Advisory Panel on the transformation of the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation examined new governance and ownership models to support collaboration and co-operation among fish harvesters, to ensure fish harvesters and Indigenous communities have a say in decision-making, and to provide new partnership arrangements.
- The Advisory Panel engaged extensively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including commercial fish harvester organization representatives, regional Indigenous leadership, provincial and territorial government representatives, national fishery associations, and other stakeholders with a keen interest in the future of the FFMC.
- The FFMC is a Federal crown corporation established in 1969 and headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Under the Freshwater Fish Marketing Act, the corporation has the exclusive right to market and trade freshwater fish in interprovincial and export markets. This applies to designated products supplied by participating jurisdictions.
- The FFMC’s mandate is to purchase all fish lawfully harvested and offered for sale in its jurisdiction, create an orderly market, promote international markets, increase fish trade, and increase returns to fishers. FFMC seeks to do this through effective marketing, efficient supply chain management and value-added processing of quality freshwater fish products.
Marie-Pascale Des Rosiers
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Follow the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- Follow the Canadian Coast Guard on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- Subscribe to receive our news releases and more via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/rss-eng.htm.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: