Canada allocates funding for partners responding to urgent needs stemming from the crisis in Gaza Strip, West Bank, Israel and neighbouring areas
October 25, 2023 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
Today, the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of International Development, announced that Canada is allocating an initial $10 million in funding for humanitarian assistance to address urgent needs stemming from the crisis in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Israel and neighbouring areas. This funding supports United Nations and Red Cross appeals and will help Canada’s partners to provide food, water, emergency medical assistance, protection services and other life-saving assistance. The funds are being allocated as follows:
- Canadian Red Cross: $2.5 million
- UNICEF: $1 million
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East: $3.5 million
- World Food Programme: $2 million
- World Health Organization: $1 million
Canada remains steadfast in its call for compliance with international humanitarian law; the safety and well-being of civilians must be a top priority. Canada continues to urge all parties to actively facilitate the rapid, sustained and unimpeded access of essential humanitarian relief to civilians in need, underscoring our collective responsibility to uphold the principles of humanity, dignity and protection for all.
“Canada welcomed the news of humanitarian assistance being delivered to civilians in Gaza through the Rafah crossing. However, the humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire and for Canada’s assistance to reach those who urgently need help, the rapid, sustained and unimpeded access of humanitarian relief is essential.”
- Ahmed Hussen, Minister of International Development
Canada has announced that it is providing $60 million in funding for humanitarian assistance in response to the crisis.
Further funding allocations for specific partners will be determined in the near future.
Canada provides its funding for humanitarian assistance based on need and through experienced and trusted humanitarian organizations that have the necessary on-the-ground operational capacity to respond.
- Canada’s response to the crisis in Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip
- Canada provides additional funding for humanitarian assistance in Gaza Strip and neighbouring areas
- Government of Canada provides funding for humanitarian assistance in response to worsening conditions in Israel, West Bank and Gaza Strip
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of International Development
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaDev
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international development - Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Instagram: @canadadev
- Date modified: