Bureau of Nutritional Sciences
The Bureau of Nutritional Sciences comprises two Divisions: The Nutrition Evaluation Division and the Nutrition Research Division, who work in concert in four main program areas:
- Nutrition Labelling and Claims, Nutrition Quality and Safety, Special Purpose Foods for Vulnerable Groups, and Food Surveillance and Monitoring.
Work is carried out through:
- the development of nutritional policies, guidelines and regulations under the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations;
- nutritional and metabolic research;
- analytical method development and evaluation;
- the collection and assessment of information on nutrients in foods; and
- the collection and assessment of data on food consumption and the nutritional status of Canadians.
Scientific advice on nutrition is provided to other Federal and Provincial government agencies, non-government health and educational organizations, the food industry and consumers. Close liaison is maintained with provincial and international nutritional authorities.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: