Vietnamese inspired beef noodle soup
This makes a tasty meal year round.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3.5 cm (1 1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and halved
- 1 each cinnamon stick and star anise
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 L (4 cups)low sodium beef broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) matchstick or shredded carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lime juice
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sodium reduced soy sauce
- 125 g (4 oz) brown rice vermicelli noodles
- 227 g (8 oz) striploin steak, well-trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 250 mL (1 cup) bean sprouts
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) fresh cilantro, mint and basil leaves, chopped
- In a deep non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, brown onion and ginger on all sides. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cinnamon, star anise, garlic and hot pepper flakes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Using a small sieve, remove all the solid pieces and discard. Stir in carrot, red pepper, lime juice and soy sauce.
- In a saucepan of boiling water, cook noodles for about 2 minutes or until softened. Drain.
- Divide noodles among soup bowls and top with steak. Ladle hot broth over top of steak to cook. Top with bean sprouts and fresh herbs to serve.
- You can ask the butcher to thinly slice your steak for you or use a sharp chef’s knife to get thin slices at home. Be sure to trim all the fat off the steak.
- If you want your steak well done, stir it into the broth and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Get your little chefs involved by having them divvy up the noodles among the soup bowls and top them with the steak.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
- Don’t have star anise? Use 2 cloves instead.
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. EC for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Reproduced with permission from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: