Carrot ginger lentil soup
This flavourful, bright soup makes for a comforting lunch or delicious starter.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) black pepper
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) dry red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth, no added salt
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and sauté over medium heat, stirring often, for about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, black pepper and carrots and sauté for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes, until lentils are cooked and carrots are soft.
- Remove from heat. Ladle into blender in batches or alternatively, using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, substitute it for ½ tbsp of ground ginger. Substitute the garlic cloves for ½ tsp of garlic powder.
- Time saver: double this recipe and freeze extra servings for another day.
- Like creamy soups? Try serving with a dollop of lower fat plain yogurt.
Categories: vegetarian, freezer-friendly
Learn about food safety
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: