Cheesy broccoli toast
Love avocado toast? You have to try these! These cheesy broccoli toasts are quick, easy and super delicious!
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 500 mL (2 cups) frozen broccoli
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) red pepper flakes
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
- 60 mL (¼ cup) light cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 ̊F. Place frozen broccoli in a microwaveable bowl, cover with a plate and microwave on high for approximately 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then roughly mash with a fork. Add pepper flakes and garlic.
- Lightly toast bread in oven or toaster. Place toast on a baking tray. Layer mashed broccoli mixture on each slice and evenly sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over each slice.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and golden, approximately 5 minutes.
- Get a head start. You can make the broccoli mixture a day ahead. When ready to prepare, preheat oven and start with Direction #2.
- Have fresh broccoli in the fridge to use up? Place broccoli in a microwaveable bowl, with 2 tbsp water and microwave on high for approximately 5 min.
- Make a double batch of the broccoli mixture and freeze extras for up to two weeks. Warm in microwave before layering on toast and baking in oven.
- This recipe is great to use up any dry or stale bread to reduce food waste and save money.
Categories: vegetarian, 30 mins or less, kid-friendly
Learn about food safety
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: