This coleslaw will keep for one week in the refrigerator. After one day, it will become softer and more mellow tasting.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
- 1 small green or red cabbage, shredded
- 500 mL (2 cups) carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 60 mL (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 60 mL (¼ cup) vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- Combine cabbage, carrots and onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Add pepper to taste.
- Pour oil and vinegar over cabbage mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate. Toss gently, just before serving.
- This recipe makes a big batch. Serve this on the side when feeding a large group. Refrigerate extras for later.
- For variety, add apples or chickpeas.
- Cabbage can be shredded using a box grater, hand grater, food processor or cut with a knife.
- Cabbage is very versatile and can be added to other dishes! Add any leftover cabbage to soups, stews and stir-fry’s for extra flavour and texture.
Categories: vegetarian, 30 min or less, no-cook
Learn about food safety
Adapted with permission from The Basic Shelf Cookbook, published by the Canadian Public Health Association.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: