Eggplant lentil curry
The smell in your kitchen from this aromatic recipe will be enough to have the neighbours running over for dinner!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) curry powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) cumin seeds
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) low sodium vegetable broth
- 540 mL (19 oz) no salt added lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in eggplant, curry powder and cumin, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, lentils and tomato; bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes or until eggplant is very tender. Stir in cilantro to serve.
- Look for firm Asian eggplant for best flavour and texture.
- Like it spicy? Use a medium or hot curry paste or powder.
- Want leftovers for lunches? Double the recipe and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Categories: vegetarian, freezer-friendly
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation..
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: