Orange soy tofu pockets
Add some magic to tofu with this punchy citrus marinade. For an inspired twist to everyday foods, tuck the grilled tofu into a sandwich, serve it up on a bed of greens or add it to soup or pasta salad. The options are endless.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) grated orange rind
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) orange juice
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) sodium reduced soy sauce
- 10 mL (2 tsp) sesame oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) Sriracha chili sauce (hot sauce)
- 3 whole grain pitas, cut in half
- 500 mL (2 cups) baby spinach
- 150 mL (2/3 cup) shredded carrot
- 6 small lime wedges
- Cut tofu crosswise into 12 slices; set aside.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together orange rind and juice, soy sauce, oil, ginger, garlic and chili sauce. Add tofu and turn to coat evenly. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Reserving marinade, place tofu slices on greased grill over medium high heat for about 8 minutes, cook, turning once or until golden and crisp. Remove from grill and toss with reserved marinade.
- Fill each pita half with spinach and carrots and tuck in 2 tofu slices each. Squeeze lime juice over top.
- Ask your little chefs to whisk the marinade and add in the tofu slices. They can also fill the pita halves with veggies and grilled tofu.
- Add the grilled tofu to a stir-fry with bok choy and pepper strips.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
Categories: vegetarian, 30 minutes or less
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: