Savoury broccoli and cheese muffins
This must-try recipe is perfect for breakfast on the run. A soon-to-be favourite, these muffins can do double duty as lunch, as a nice change from sandwiches.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Servings: 10 muffins
- 250 mL (1 cup) all purpose flour with added bran or whole wheat flour
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) fine cornmeal
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) wheat germ
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking soda
- 250 mL (1 cup) 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) skim milk
- 1 egg
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 250 mL (1 cup) chopped broccoli florets
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) shredded light old Cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, wheat germ, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, egg and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in broccoli and cheese. (Batter will be thick.)
- Lightly spray or paper-line 10 muffin cups. Scoop batter into each and bake in preheated 200°C (400°F) oven for about 12 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Let cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Little chefs can help mix the dry ingredients, the wet ingredients and then scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Out of fresh broccoli? Use frozen, thawed broccoli in a pinch.
- Try your favourite vegetable and cheese combination instead of broccoli and Cheddar. How about cauliflower and Asiago?
- Make a double batch and keep some of these muffins for later. Cool muffins, and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days or in freezer for up to 2 weeks. Warm in microwave before serving.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
Categories: vegetarian, kid-friendly, freezer-friendly, 30 minutes or less
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: