Pork and apple skillet dinner
Apples, with their touch of sweetness, are a perfect complement to pork chops. This is a delicious weeknight meal that comes together with little fuss. Serve these pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes or brown rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 5 mL (1 tsp) canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried thyme leaves
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, about 500 g/1 lb
- 2 red skinned apples, cored and sliced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) sodium reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) cornstarch
- In a bowl, combine oil, garlic, thyme and pepper; add pork chops and rub mixture all over.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and brown pork chops on both sides. Remove to plate and add apple slices to pan; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Whisk together broth, mustard and cornstarch; pour into skillet. Stir to coat apples. Return pork chops to skillet and cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes.Footnote *
- Save money by buying larger packages of pork loin chops and freeze the extras for another meal.
- Switch up the type of apple. See what’s available at your grocery store or farmers’ market.
- Take this recipe to a whole new level by swapping out apples for pears.
Categories: 30 minutes or less
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: