Toasted barley and wild rice salad
Jump on the whole grain wagon with this flavourful salad. Barley's chewy texture and the nuttiness of wild rice are sure to make this salad a win. This is a colourful and healthy salad to pack for lunch or a picnic.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) each pot barley and wild rice
- 250 mL (1 cup) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) cider or white wine vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) chopped cooked turkey or chicken (about 180 g/6 oz)
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) each chopped fresh parsley and chives
- In a saucepan, toast barley and wild rice over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until barley and rice are tender but still chewy and firm. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled barley-rice mixture with bell pepper, zucchini and tomato.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic and pepper. Drizzle over top of barley-rice mixture and stir to coat. Stir in turkey, parsley and chives until well distributed.
- Go for pot barley, which is a whole grain, instead of pearl barley.
- This salad is equally delicious warm or cold. Perfect for making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
- Leave out the turkey for a vegetarian version. You can replace it with 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) drained and rinsed lentils, chickpeas or kidney beans.
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation..
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: