North American Free Trade Agreement Labelled Products

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Technical Working Group on Pesticides, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is working with their counterparts in the United States and Mexico to create a more consistent basis for pesticide registration between the three NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) countries. An example of one initiative that supports the Technical Working Group (TWG) efforts is NAFTA Labelled products. NAFTA labels on agricultural pesticides allow the cross-border movement of approved products between Canada and the United States, to the benefit of growers without compromising the integrity of the Canadian regulatory system. Regulatory co-operation, as well as collaboration among grower groups, pesticide manufacturers and governments, has made NAFTA labels possible. Many stakeholders view this initiative as a major accomplishment and the preferred path forward in terms of accessibility and price discipline.

The Health Canada Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is pleased to notify Canadian growers that seven NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) labelled products have been approved.

Approved NAFTA Labelled Products

The following products are registered with a NAFTA label:
Product Name Registration Number Date
Avadex Microactiv Herbicide 25112 January 2007
Gavel 75DF Fungicide Container Label 26842 May 2007
Reflex Liquid Herbicide Container Label 24779 October 2007
Simplicity Herbicide Container Label 28887 January 2008
Revus Fungicide Container Label 29074 August 2008
Discover NG /Horizon NG Container Label 29089 November 2008


At this time, no other pesticide products are available for importation through this initiative.

A PMRA approved import certificate is not required to purchase or import the NAFTA Labelled products, however;

Any unauthorized importation will be in violation of the Pest Control Products Act and is subject to the appropriate compliance response.

How to purchase and import NAFTA labelled products

Residents of Canada may purchase and import, from the United States and only for their own use, products registered with a NAFTA label. You may transport the product on your own, work together with a group of growers with a designated driver, or hire a customs broker or carrier.

For each option, specific documentation is required and explained below. In all cases ensure that the approved NAFTA Label has been affixed to the product container by the manufacturer prior to purchase.

A PMRA import certificate is not required to purchase or import NAFTA labelled products.

1. On your own

When you drive to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) commercial border crossing and make your declaration, you must have on hand:

  • Original bills of sale
  • Any other documentation required by the CBSA.
    • This may include two copies of CBSA's Form B3 completed either on paper or electronically.

2. A small group of growers working together with a designated driver

  • Original bills of sale corresponding to each grower's purchase.
  • Written authorization in compliance with CBSA Memorandum D1-6-1 that indicates the agent has been authorized to transact business on behalf of another person (usually the importer or owner), provided that it meets the following seven requirements:
    1. the names of the person and agent including their business numbers and addresses;
    2. a description of the type of business transactions being authorized, e.g. accounting and payment of duties under section 32 of Customs Act;
    3. whether the authority is continuous or for a specified period;
    4. whether the agent is authorized to appoint a sub-agent;
    5. the name, title and signature of the agent;
    6. the name, title and signature of the person on whose behalf the agent is acting; and
    7. the effective date;
  • Any other documentation required by the CBSA.
    • This may include two copies of CBSA's Form B3 completed either on paper or electronically.

Note: As per Section 32 of the Customs Act, a person may only account for goods and pay duties as an agent of the importer or owner of the goods where the person does so on a casual basis, and without benefit of any compensation, fee or charge.

Need help completing the Form B3? The CBSA has provided step-by-step instructions in the brochure called Importing Commercial Goods Into Canada. The CBSA has also created a Checklist for Importing Commercial Goods to help with the commercial importing process.

3. Hiring a customs broker or carrier

A customs broker or carrier may be hired to deliver your product from the point of purchase to your farm.

Growers are to ensure that:

  • a supply of any product considered for importation is available with approved NAFTA labelling;
  • all foreign certifications required to buy the product are obtained (e.g. state license for purchase if applicable); and,
  • Importers are responsible for proper disposal of containers and unwanted product. See product label directions for product disposal.

Related information

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: