Proposed Re-evaluation Decision PRVD2018-05, Folpet and Its Associated End-use Products
This consultation is now closed.
Folpet is a registered pesticide used by agricultural workers to control fungal diseases on crops, and is used in industrial applications to control fungi on vinyl plastics. Folpet is also used to preserve paints and coatings, but these uses are undergoing a separate re-evaluation. Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is consulting Canadians on proposed changes to the way folpet can be used for crops and plastics due to health and environmental concerns, following a scheduled re-evaluation under the PMRA’s Re-evaluation Program.
Folpet product names include Fungitrol and Folpan (find full label names and labels for all registered products in the pesticide label search database.)
The proposed changes include:
- Cancellation of uses on cranberries and cut flowers to protect worker health
- Longer required wait times before workers can re-enter certain treated areas
- Additional protective equipment requirements for those handling folpet
- Cancellation of azalea stem soak use due to a lack of data to properly assess safety
- Cancellation of use for treating vinyl plastics to protect worker health
- Updated aquatic buffer zones to protect non-target organisms from spray drift
- Addition of advisory statements to labels to reduce risks to bystanders and non-target organisms
For more information on the proposed changes open the “Proposed Re-evaluation Decision”.
How to Get Involved
This consultation is open for comment from 14 March 2018 to 12 June 2018 (90 calendar days).
To comment on PRVD2018-05:
Step 1 Request the full consultation document to read the Science Evaluation that is the basis of this proposed regulatory decision.
Step 2 Submit comments to the PMRA Publications Section.
All comments received will be considered. A final re-evaluation decision will consider additional scientific information provided during the public comment period.
Please refer to the document title (for example: PRVD2018-05, Folpet and Its Associated End-use Products) when providing comments.
Reporting to Canadians
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision is finalized, the PMRA will post a Re-evaluation Decision on the Pesticides and Pest Management Reports and Publications portion of Canada.ca.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
- Date modified: