Consultation on Acephate and Its Associated End-use Products – Updated Environmental Risk Assessment, Proposed Re evaluation Decision PRVD2019-04
Acephate is an insecticide used to control insect pests on a wide variety of sites, including forests and woodlots, terrestrial food and feed crops, and outdoor ornamentals, in Orthene and Acecap products.
Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is consulting Canadians on proposed re-evaluation decision PRVD2019-04 on uses of acephate, which follows up a 2016 re-evaluation (PRVD2016-01) with updated environmental risk assessment information. PRVD2019-04 proposes cancelling certain uses of acephate and continuing registration for other uses with mitigation measures to protect the environment.
The current consultation covers only revisions to the proposed re-evaluation decisions presented in PRVD2019-04, including:
- Cancellation of airblast and outdoor mistblower applications
- Cancellation of the highest foliar application rate currently used for airblast/mistblower applications only
- Uses in farm woodlots, shelter belts, rights of way and municipal parks are limited to spot treatments using hand-held equipment only
- Precautionary and hazard statements to inform users of the toxicity and potential risk of acephate to pollinators, beneficial arthropods, birds, mammals, and aquatic organisms
- Label statements directing users to avoid application during periods of bloom or during the 9-day period before crop bloom for crops that are attractive to pollinators
- Statements directing users that tree injection applications must be made after the blooming/pollen shedding period
- A label statement directing users not to discharge acephate-contaminated effluent from greenhouses into aquatic environments
- Precautionary label statements informing users of ways to reduce the potential for runoff
Appendix II of the document gives more detail on the label amendments needed for these mitigation measures.
For more information on the proposed decision open the “Proposed Re-evaluation Decision”.
How to Get Involved
This consultation is open for comment from 21 May 2019 to 19 August 2019 (90 calendar days).
To comment on PRVD2019-04:
Step 1 Request the full consultation document to read the Science Evaluation that is the basis of this proposed regulatory decision.
Step 2 Submit comments to the PMRA Publications Section.
All comments received will be considered. A final re-evaluation decision will consider additional scientific information provided during the public comment period.
Please refer to the document title (for example: PRVD2019-04, Acephate and Its Associated End-use Products - Updated Environmental Risk Assessment) when providing comments.
Reporting to Canadians
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision is finalized, the PMRA will post a Re-evaluation Decision on the Pesticides and Pest Management Reports and Publications portion of Canada.ca.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: