Consultation on Special Review of Tetrachlorvinphos and Its Associated End-use Products, Proposed Special Review Decision PSRD2019-04
Health Canada is consulting Canadians over the next 45 days on its proposed special review decision for tetrachlorvinphos. Tetrachlorvinphos is a pesticide used by commercial applicators and the general public to control insects such as lice, mites and ticks, on animals for food production (beef cattle, dairy cattle and poultry), companion animals (cats and dogs) and their bedding and living quarters, and in structures (for example, dairy barns, poultry houses and swine barns). Product names include Vet-Kem, Zodiac, Ultraguard, Incontrol, Debantic and Ectogard. For a full list please see Appendix I in the consultation document or visit the Pesticide Label Search results for tetrachlorvinphos.
This special review was conducted to assess potential human health concerns around occupational and residential exposure. Based on the outcome of the assessment, Health Canada is proposing to allow the following uses to continue with the addition of protective measures, described in detail in Appendix VIII.
- Ear tag product
- Wettable power product
- Roost paint application to treat lice, mites, and lesser mealworms
- Handheld spray application to poultry
- Handheld spray application to poultry house floor management to treat lice, mites, and lesser meal-worms
- Handheld spray application to poultry droppings, manure piles, garbage piles, and under feed troughs to treat maggots
- Handheld spray application to livestock premises (1% and 2% dilution)
- Flea and tick liquid (trigger spray) products
As the risks to human health are not considered to be acceptable, Health Canada is proposing to cancel the following uses of tetrachlorvinphos:
- Wettable powder product
- Direct application as a wettable powder or dust to poultry and poultry facilities
- Handheld spray application to poultry housing walls, ceilings, floor cracks and crevices to treat fowl ticks
- All flea and tick powder/dust products
- All flea and tick pet collar products
For more information on the proposed decision open the “Proposed Special Review Decision”.
How to Get Involved
This consultation is open for comment from 26 April 2019 to 10 June 2019 (45 calendar days).
To comment on PSRD2019-04:
- Step 1
- Request the full consultation document to read the Science Evaluation that is the basis of this proposed regulatory decision.
- Step 2
- Submit comments to the PMRA Publications Section.
All comments received will be considered. A final special review decision will consider additional scientific information provided during the public comment period.
Please refer to the document title (for example: PSRD2019-04, Special Review of Tetrachlorvinphos and Its Associated End-use Products) when providing comments.
Reporting to Canadians
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision is finalized, the PMRA will post a Special Review Decision on the Pesticides and Pest Management Reports and Publications portion of Canada.ca.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: