January 10, 2023 updates to list of medical devices for mandatory shortage and discontinuation reporting
MDEL Bulletin January 10, 2023, from the Medical Devices Compliance Program
On this page
- Reporting shortages and discontinuations of specified medical devices
- Reporting shortages and discontinuations of other medical devices
- Forms for reporting
- Contact us
Reporting shortages and discontinuations of specified medical devices
Health Canada has updated the List of Medical Devices – Notification of Shortages on January 10, 2023, to add medical devices that require mandatory reporting by manufacturers and importers.
We have added the following medical devices to the list, as these require mandatory reporting:
- Ear ventilation tubes (tympanostomy tubes)
Health Canada maintains and regularly updates this list, which is incorporated by reference (IBR) into the Medical Devices Regulations.
Manufacturers of Class I to IV devices and importers of Class I medical devices should check the list of medical devices regularly. As stated in sections 62.23 to 62.25 of the Regulations, you must report shortages and discontinuations of specified medical devices to Health Canada. A medical device also includes its components, accessories or parts.
For more information on medical device shortage reporting, please refer to the:
- Medical device shortages web page
- Guide to reporting medical device shortages and discontinuations (GUI-0137)
Reporting shortages and discontinuations of other medical devices
Manufacturers and importers are also encouraged to report shortages and discontinuations for medical devices not found on the List of Medical Devices – Notification of Shortages.
We encourage voluntary reporting when:
- the shortage is likely to create a patient or user safety issue in Canada
- a substitute device, component, accessory or part is not readily available
- the shortage is national in scope
- the discontinuation is likely to result in a shortage
Forms for reporting
To report shortages (including voluntary shortage reports), complete the electronic shortages reporting form.
To report discontinuations that will lead to a shortage (including voluntary discontinuation reports), complete the electronic discontinuation reporting form.
For inquiries, please contact us by email at MD.shortages.penurie.de.IM@hc-sc.gc.ca.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: