ARCHIVED - Natural Health Products Online Solution
This content was archived on June 24 2013.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Features and System Requirements
The Natural Health Products Online Solution includes several innovative features to improve the licence application process such as:
- a world-class fully-searchable repository of natural health product ingredients that includes acceptable medicinal and non-medicinal (including purposes) ingredients. The Natural Health Products Ingredients Database can be accessed directly or through use of the Natural Health Products Online Solution electronic forms;
- an electronic product licence application form dynamically linked to the ingredients database for superior accuracy and completeness of information;
- increased opportunities to utilize Pre-cleared Information (pre-approved ingredient information, claims and conditions of use) as the basis for new products; and
- electronic submission and exchange of information regarding applications for greater precision and shorter turnaround times.
New features have been developed to enable more consistent and timely processing of licence applications. They are as follows:
- Advanced electronic forms that are based on the Portable Document Format (PDF), one of the most commonly used formats for electronic documents that complies with ISO International Standard (ISO 32000-1). Also, the new forms contain built-in business rules for greater accuracy and consistency.
- A world-class repository of natural health product ingredient information that includes Pre-cleared Information as a reference standard for internal assessment, and for the Natural Health Products industry.
- Options for secure electronic submission of licence applications and supporting documentation. (Please note that submissions are accepted on CD, where no registration is required, or through the secure e-mail service of Canada Post, where enrolment is required in advance.) Applicants are provided with the option to continue submitting applications on paper, by printing the completed electronic form, and mailing it along with supporting documentation.While all three submission options are supported, licence applications received electronically can be processed faster and more efficiently than conventional submissions on paper.
- Improved guidance documents to support the electronic forms and Natural Health Products Ingredients Database. The guidance documents contain more illustrations and examples that more clearly explain the enhanced features available through the Natural Health Products Online Solution.
To prepare and submit the electronic forms of the Natural Health Products Online Solution, the following is the suggested minimum recommended workstation configuration:
- A Wintel system typically running a modern Microsoft operating System on any modern x86 compatible central processing unit (CPU), manufactured by either Intel or Advanced Micro Devices (AMD):
- 1.6 GigaHertz (GHz) - Pentium IV Processor
- 1 GigaByte (GB) of Random Access Memory (RAM)
- Operating system: Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, XP with Service Pack 2, Vista with Service Pack 1 or Windows 7
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 (or higher) with the following features:
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 3.0 support -128-bit encryption
- Cookies enabled
- The Sun Java Virtual Machine (JVM) 1.6 or later running. The JVM can be downloaded from the Java Web site.
- High-speed internet connection
- Adobe Reader (9.3 or higher) (available free at www.adobe.com)
- Ability to handle zip files
- Storage capacity of at least 10 Megabytes (MB) disk space per submission (equivalent of 200 - 2,000 single-sided pages depending on electronic format and graphics content of supporting documentation - actual required capacity can be much less for smaller submissions)
While it is possible to operate at a reduced performance level with lower-capacity hardware and on other environments (Linux, Mac 10.6 and higher) and Web browsers (Firefox 3 or higher, Chrome, Safari 3.0.4 or higher), the Reader and Java software specifications must be respected to successfully use the electronic forms.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: