2017 Annual Award of Excellence in Nursing - Call for Nominations
The deadline to submit completed nomination packages has been extended until March 10, 2017.
Celebrating the dedication, initiative and distinction of nurses who are helping to improve the health of Canada First Nations and Inuit
The First Nations and Inuit Health Branch of Health Canada is now accepting nominations for the 2017 Awards of Excellence in Nursing. This award will be presented to three (3) exceptional nurses who provide care to First Nations and/or Inuit clients. Nominees will have demonstrated that they are committed to excellence in professional nursing practice by:
- Consistently using sound judgment in routine circumstances, as well as in urgent situations;
- Maintaining professionalism in their treatment of clients and their approach to leadership;
- Valuing diversity and supporting a discrimination free environment.
Who is Eligible to receive this Award?
- Nurses who are currently employed by First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, a First Nations employer, or working in an Inuit community are eligible for the award.
- The award is open to all Registered Nurses (RN’s) who have worked the equivalent of two years fulltime in a First Nations or Inuit community.
- The Award of Excellence is strictly for frontline nurses.
Completed nomination packages must be received by Friday, March 10, 2017 @ 4:00 p.m. EST.
All nominators and nominees will be notified in April 2017 of the final results. We wish to thank everyone involved in the nomination process for taking the time to nominate an outstanding nurse providing direct care in a First Nations or Inuit community.
Nominated candidates will be assessed in two (2) areas:
- People Skills and Leadership
- Continuous Learning
The members of the Nursing Award Selection Committee will evaluate nominees anonymously based on the following weighted criteria. Please review these criteria and include specific examples of how the nominee fulfills them in your nomination letter. For best results, organize your nomination letter and examples according to the categories below.
Assessment of Merits of Excellence Letter
The nominator must provide a letter no more than two pages of supporting documentation summarizing why the nominee should win this award. The competencies that the selection committee is looking for evidence of are listed below. The letter should be formatted single spaced, in 12 point Times New Roman font. Legible, hand written documentation will also be accepted. Please ensure that each competency (as applicable) for the award is addressed in order for the candidate to get a favorable review.
Excellent People Skills:
- Delivers client support with integrity and compassion;
- Builds effective relationships with clients, families and community members; Actively involved in the community;
- Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals and/or groups;
- The ability to work cooperatively within the team to achieve team and community goals.
Dedicated to Leadership, Learning and Professional Development:
- Demonstrates leadership and embraces changing environments;
- Enhances/promotes nursing;
- Pro-active in mentoring students and other nurses/staff;
- Acts as a role model to inspire others to achieve results and obtain goals;
- Actively involved in professional organizations;
- Committed to life-long learning by continuing to study beyond levels required for his/her position.
Please include concrete examples that demonstrate the criteria highlighted above. Letters of reference (optional) enhance the nomination and are encouraged.
The Award of Excellence in Nursing will be presented to the three recipients during National Nursing Week at a ceremony in Ottawa on Monday, May 8, 2017. Each recipient of the award will receive a framed certificate, as well as a gift to commemorate this special occasion. Travel and accommodation expenses for each of the recipients will be provided by FNIHB to attend the Award Ceremony. All travel will be in accordance with the Treasury Board Guidelines and is subject to approval.
The following documents are mandatory as part of a complete nomination package submission.
- Signed and completed “Nomination Form”
- Completed “Assessment of Merits of Excellence” letter
- Copy of candidate’s current resume
- Photocopy of current Nursing Registration
The Selection Committee will be conducting blind evaluations on the nomination packages based solely on the information provided in the package. Letters of reference (optional) enhance the nomination packages and are encouraged.
NOTE: Incomplete nomination packages will NOT be considered.
All completed nomination packages with supporting materials must be received either by mail, fax or email no later than Friday, March 10, 2017 @ 4:00 p.m. EST.
For more information, please contact:
Awards and Recognition Coordinator
Internal Client Services Directorate
First Nations and Inuit Health Branch
Jeanne Mance Building
A. L. 1916B, Room 1613B
200 Eglantine, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0K9
Tel: (613) 302-7975
Fax: (613) 948-2642
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: