Executive Summary of the Food Expert Advisory Committee Meeting (FEAC) Webconference of Friday, July 4, 2104
Objectives of the Meeting
This was the twelfth meeting of the Food Expert Advisory Committee. The objectives of the meeting were:
- To seek advice from committee members on key food operational activities and nutrition labelling topics.
- To inform members of the ongoing work of the Food Directorate and its partners to optimize their knowledge and expertise for input into the decision making processes.
This report follows the order of the meeting agenda and is a summary of the information presented. The list of attendees is provided in Appendix A.
Dr. Keith Mussar and Ms. Francy Pillo-Blocka, Co-chairs of the Food Expert Advisory Committee welcomed members to the meeting. They thanked the members for participating in this meeting and commented on their important roles and responsibilities as members. Dr. Samuel Godefroy, Director General, Food Directorate, Health Canada, also welcomed members, guests and colleagues to this meeting, and expressed appreciation for their involvement and expertise to assist Health Canada with some active files. He also indicated that this meeting conducted via teleconference with video sharing was an opportunity to provide any potential updates.
Food Directorate Operational Review Project
Ms. Denise MacGillivray, Associate Director, Bureau of Business Systems and Operations, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada introduced the current Food Directorate Operational Review Project. The main current findings were presented by the consultants from TDV Global Inc. Following the presentation, members were invited to give feedback on the findings and the analysis presented in the report.
Dr. William Yan, Director, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, provided an update to members on the recent nutrition labelling review process and the proposed changes to nutrition labelling requirements including serving size, reference amount, percent daily value, core nutrients, and nutrition facts table format. The presentation was followed by questions and feedback from members.
In closing, Dr. Keith Mussar, Ms. Francy Pillo-Blocka and Dr. William Yan, thanked members for their time, input and advice to Health Canada, invited members to provide comments on the meeting and mentioned that the next Meeting of the Food Expert Advisory Committee will be scheduled for November 17 &18, 2014 in Ottawa, Ontario.
Appendix A: List of Attendees
- Dr. Keith Mussar (Co-chair)
- Ms. Francy Pillo-Blocka (Co-chair)
- Ms. Marilyn Allen
- Dr. Valerie Assinewe
- Mr. Josh Brandon
- Mr. Carl Carter
- Mr. Albert Chambers
- Ms. Jackie Crichton
- Ms. Lucie Granger
- Dr. Rick Holley
- Mr. Mike Horwich
- Dr. Simone Lemieux
- Dr. Mary Alton Mackay
- Dr. Vijaya Raghavan
- Dr. Rickey Yada
- Ms. Vida Stevens
- Mr. Nyall Hislop
- Mr. Grant Morrison
- Dr. Paul Paquin
- Mr. David Skinner
- Michael Ennis, Chief Operating Officer and Managing Partner, TDV Global Inc.
- James Dunlop, Director of Operations, TDV Global Inc.
- Mike Bradshaw, TDV Global Inc.
Government of Canada representatives:
- Dr. Samuel Godefroy, Director General, Food Directorate, Health Canada (FD-HC)
- Dr. William Yan, Director, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences (BNS), FD-HC
- Ms. Denise MacGillivray, Associate Director, Bureau of Business Systems and Operations (BBSO), FD-HC
- Dr. Barbara Lee, Director, Bureau of Chemical Safety (BCS), FD-HC
- Ms. Maya Villeneuve, Associate Director, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences (BNS), FD-HC
- Ms. Janine Murray, Associate Director, Bureau of Policy, Intergovernmental and International Affairs (BPIIA), FD-HC
- Dr. Martin Duplessis, Acting Chief, Bureau of Microbial Hazards (BMH), FD-HC
- Ms. Charmaine Kuran, Section Head, Nutrition Composition (BNS), FD-HC
- Mr. Michael Masotti, Senior Advisor to the Director General, DGO, FD-HC
- Mr. Raymond W Tsang, Manager, Governance and Engagement (BBSO), FD-HC
- Ms. Christine Kisbee, A/Secretariat Officer (BBSO), FD-HC
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: