Accessing cannabis for medical purposes from a licensed producer
Update on our processes during the COVID-19 pandemic
If you have sent in a renewal application to Health Canada, and nothing has changed, you may continue to produce cannabis for your own medical purposes. We will contact you after we review your application.
Learn how to access cannabis for your medical purposes from licensed producers under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR).
On this page
Meet with your health care practitioner
Meet with your health care practitioner to discuss whether you should use cannabis to treat your symptoms.
Your health care practitioner may provide you with a medical document if they determine that a limited amount of cannabis should be used to treat your symptoms.
Register with a licensed producer
You can register with a licensed producer to obtain cannabis products for your own medical use, including:
- fresh marijuana
- dried marijuana
- cannabis oil
To register with a licensed producer of your choice, you will need to:
- complete a registration form specific to that licensed producer
- provide your original medical document
Registration forms are available on the website of a licensed producer or by contacting them directly.
Contact the licensed producer you wish to register with for further information regarding application requirements.
You can register with a licensed producer to obtain starting materials or an interim supply if you have:
- registered with Health Canada to produce cannabis for your own medical purposes
- designated another person to produce on your behalf
You are allowed to possess up to a 30-day supply of dried marijuana, or its equivalent. Your maximum amount is based on the lower amount of what your health care practitioner has recommended, or 150 grams.
For example, if your health care practitioner recommends:
- 2 grams of dried marijuana a day, you can possess up to 60 grams of dried marijuana at one time
- 2 grams x 30 days = 60 grams
- 6 grams of dried marijuana a day, you can possess only 150 grams of dried marijuana
- 6 grams x 30 days = 180 grams
- the maximum amount is still only 150 grams, as set out in the regulations
You may switch to a different licensed producer at any time. Licensed producers are, however, not allowed to return your medical document. In order to switch licensed producers you must:
- obtain a new medical document from your health care practitioner
- cancel your registration with your current licensed producer
- complete a registration form specific to the new licensed producer
- provide the original of your new medical document to the new licensed producer
Registration forms are available on the licensed producer’s website or by contacting them directly.
You may wish to contact the licensed producer you choose to register with for further information regarding application requirements.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: