Get help with problematic substance use
Are you struggling with problematic substance use? Is someone you care about having a problem? Help is available, whether you need it for yourself, a friend or a family member. Many resources are available to answer your questions, offer advice or give hands-on help. If you need assistance, contact any of these organizations or groups.
On this page
National help resources
- Kids Help Phone
Canada's only counselling and information service for children and youth provides immediate, anonymous and confidential support.
The toll-free, bilingual service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Visit the website, or call 1-800-668-6868
- Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction
Provides leadership in reducing the harm of alcohol and other drugs on society.
- Drug Free Kids Canada
Provides parents with the tools they need to talk to their kids.
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Canada's largest hospital devoted to mental health and addiction.
- Centre for Youth Crime Prevention
Drug awareness program organized by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Centre for Youth Crime Prevention.
- Canadian Assembly of Narcotics Anonymous
Provides information and services to people recovering from substance use disorder.
Mental health services, help and support in your community.
Help resources in your province or territory
- Alberta Health Services Addiction Helpline
A 24-hour toll-free confidential service available to all Albertans.
- Alberta Health Services - Addiction and Mental Heatlh
A list of programs, services and treatment facilities available in Alberta.
- Alcohol and Drug Use in Young People
Prevention strategies for parents and caregivers.
- Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service
This service is available to people across B.C. needing help with any kind of substance use issues 24 hours a day. It provides information and referral to education, prevention and treatment services and regulatory agencies.
Lower Mainland: 604-660-9382
- HealthLink BC
HealthLink BC helps you learn about health topics, check your symptoms and find the health services and resources that you need for healthy living. Call 8-1-1 to consult with a nurse, pharmacist or dietitian or visit HealthLinkBC.ca for easy access to help you find the health services you need, closest to where you live. Translation services are available in over 130 languages on request.
Anywhere in B.C.: 8-1-1
TTY (Deaf and hearing-impaired): 7-1-1
- BC Crisis Line
Toll-Free: 310-6789 (no area code needed)
- Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre
A provincial resource centre that provides mental health and substance use information, resources and peer support to children, youth and their families from across B.C.
Lower Mainland: 604-875-2084
- BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Tel: 604-875-2345 or toll-free (in B.C. only)
- Mind Check
Designed to help youth and young adults in British Columbia check out how they are feeling and quickly connect to mental health resources and support. Support includes education, self-care tools, website links, and assistance in connecting to local professional resources.
- Here to Help
Provides access to information on mental health, mental disorders and substance use problems and disorders.
- Government of Manitoba, Healthy Living and Seniors, Addictions
Provincial Adult Addictions Information
Toll-Free Line: 1-855-662-6605
- Youth Addictions Centralized Intake Service
Toll-Free Line: 1-877-710-3999
- Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
- Resource Assistance for Youth (RaY)
- Mobile Crisis Services
Winnipeg RHA - Adult Mobile Crisis Service: 204-940-1781
Youth Mobile Crisis Team: 204-949-4777
Interlake-Eastern RHA - Mobile Crisis Services: 204-482-5376 or toll free 1-877-499-8770
Prairie Mountain Health - Mobile Crisis Unit: 204-725-4411
Southern Health - East of Red River Mental Health
Access Crisis Response Services/Warm Call line: 204-326-9276 or 1-888-617-7715
Southern Health - West of Red River Mental Health
Access Crisis Response: 1-866-588-1697
24 Hour Crisis Line: 204-786-8686
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Newfoundland and Labrador Helpline
Call toll-free 24 hours a day.
- Provincial Mental Health Crisis Line
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Department of Health and Community Services Mental Health and Addictions
- Northwest Territories Helpline
Call toll-free from anywhere in the Northwest Territories.
- Government of the Northwest Territories, Department of Health and Social Services, Addictions: where to get help
- Government of Nova Scotia Addiction Services
Department of Health and Wellness
- Addiction Services Provincial Line
- Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Mental Health and Addictions
- ConnexOntario, Drug and Alcohol Helpline
Provides free, confidential and anonymous information services about drug and alcohol addiction services in Ontario, by phone, email or web chat, 24/7/365.
- Parent Action on Drugs
Develops programs and resources for parents, youth, educators, health promoters and communities related to problematic substance use.
Is a free, confidential and anonymous helpline (24/7/365) for post-secondary students (17-25) in Ontario that provides professional counselling and information and referrals on mental health, addictions and well-being.
Prince Edward Island
- Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
Government of Québec website.
- Drugs: Help and Referrals
Call toll-free from anywhere in Quebec or locally in Montreal.
Helpline for youth. Call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week toll-free anywhere in Quebec.
514-600-1002 (text messaging, from 8am to 10pm)
Helpline for parents. Call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week toll-free anywhere in Quebec.
- Government of Saskatchewan HealthLine
Online and telephone services for adults, youth and health providers.
- Government of Saskatchewan, Healthy Living, Alcohol, Drugs and your Health
Information about the risks and effects of problematic drug and alcohol use.
- Government of Saskatchewan, Mental Health and Addictions, Alcohol and Drug Services
Directory of Alcohol and Drug Treatment Services.
- Government of Yukon, Alcohol and Drug Services
A 24-hour toll-free helpline from anywhere in Yukon.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: