Substance Use and Addictions Program: Answers to questions about micro-grant funding for cannabis and vaping public education
SUAP has posted the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Guidelines and priorities
Will a project reaching more than one target audience be given greater consideration for funding?
We encourage you to indicate all target audiences relevant to your project in the Application Form. However, the number of target audiences addressed through your project will not necessarily be taken into account.
Are projects delivering activities not only in English and/or French, but also in Indigenous languages considered eligible?
Projects that propose activities or products in Indigenous languages are welcome.
Is there a set number of projects allocated to focus on Indigenous populations?
There is no specific allocation for projects that focus on Indigenous populations.
If there are two parts to our project, is it best to apply as separate applications or to combine into one Application Form?
You may submit a combined vaping and cannabis awareness project, if you have more than one project idea. An organization/individual can only receive one micro-grant at a time.
How do I create a Digital ID / Certified Electronic Signature?
You can now apply a certified digital signature to your document. Health Canada does not require a scanned version of your wet signature.
- Upload and Save a scanned version of your hand-written signature. Save the file as jpg.
- Click on the “Security” or “Protect tab” in your Adobe Reader.
- Select “Sign and Certify”, then “Certify with visible signature…”
- Follow the prompts and enable all features on your computer to create an electronic or digital signature. You can import the scanned version of your hand-written into your digital signature (You can also simply type your name from your keyboard although a visible signature is recommended)
- When you are happy with the layout of your signature, click “OK” or “Save” to ensure the signature is saved.
If you are experiencing technical issues creating a digital certified signature, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I submit the Application Form?
The form must be submitted using the SUBMIT FORM button.
- When clicking on the “Submit Form” button, a verification takes place to make sure all mandatory fields are completed. An asterisk (*) indicates mandatory fields.
- If one or more mandatory field is empty, an error message will pop up indicating the first field that requires attention.
- Once you have corrected the issue, you can click “Submit Form” again to check and submit the document.
- You will receive a separate error message for each incomplete field or formatting issue detected in the Application Form.
- You can repeat this process until no more error messages appear.
- Please give yourself enough time before the deadline date to work through each error message, and resolve it.
- When you click on the SUBMIT FORM button, and no errors are found, two things happen:
- the form will automatically create an email message which is addressed to SUAP
- the completed application form will automatically be attached to that email.
- Once this email is drafted, you must click SEND from your email.
If you are experiencing technical issues submitting your Application Form, please email us at email@example.com.
Can a single person/organization submit more than one project?
While there is no limit to the number of projects that one person or organization can submit, you or your organization are only eligible to receive funding for one micro-grant.
Can applicants use abbreviations when responding to questions in the Application Form?
You can use abbreviations throughout the Application Form, but please ensure to define the abbreviations in their first use to avoid any confusion when SUAP is assessing your project.
Can I fill out the Application Form online in the Web browser?
We strongly recommend that you download/save a copy of the Application Form directly on your computer to avoid any data loss and to allow you to save your progress. Once saved on your computer, you can fill out the Application Form at your own pace, saving as often as possible.
Why do I get an error message when I click the "Submit Form" button?
When clicking on the "Submit Form" button, a verification takes place to make sure all mandatory fields are completed. An asterisk (*) indicates mandatory fields.
If there is even one mandatory field that is not fully completed, an error message will pop up when you click on "Submit Form". This error message will explain the field that requires attention. You will receive a separate error message for each incomplete field or formatting issue in the Application Form.
Once you fully and properly complete all mandatory fields, clicking on "Submit Form" will allow you to submit your Application Form via an automatically generated email message. This email, addressed to SUAP, will include your completed Application Form.
Can I print the Application Form?
The Application Form is an electronic fillable form. It is not designed to be printed. It is intended to be completed and submitted using a computer. The submission of your application must be done by email. Scanned and printed versions will not be accepted.
Can additional materials be submitted along with our Application Form?
Additional materials will not be reviewed as part of application review process. Please do not attach additional materials.
Why is the text box not expanding to allow the maximum number of characters in the text boxes of the Application Form?
The text box fields in the Application Form are enabled with a scroll bar. The scroll bar is activated once there is a certain amount of content in the text box field.
To note, the scroll bar does not appear if you are using Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, or if the Form has been opened in the browser, but not yet been downloaded. In these cases, you can use your cursor to move the scroll bar up and down. In this way, you can review the content you have added in the text box field.
Which software should I use to complete the Application Form?
We recommend using Adobe Reader to ensure the best functionality of the Application Form.
If you have any technical issues, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Budget and expenses
Are expenses incurred before project approval eligible if an applicant is successful and enters into a grant agreement?
Expenditures incurred prior to Health Canada written approval will not be eligible.
Are there ineligible expenses?
Yes, funds cannot be used to purchase cannabis or vaping products. Other ineligible costs include capital expenses and building expenditures.
Does a funded recipient require a separate bank account for Health Canada projects?
No. Health Canada does not require a recipient or organization to have a separate, project-specific bank account.
How many projects will be funded through this micro-grant funding?
The number of projects funded depends on a number of factors, including how many projects are received.
When will Micro-Grant Funding 2021 results be communicated?
Timing of final decisions is dependent on a number of factors. Health Canada anticipates that decisions will be available in early 2022.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: