Express Entry System
Information for Skilled Foreign Workers
- Express Entry provides a pathway to permanent residence for skilled workers in Canada or overseas.
- For potential skilled foreign workers, Express Entry will result in fast processing times of six months or less.
- Express Entry manages applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs:
- Provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from Express Entry through their Provincial Nominee Programs to meet local labour market needs.
How Express Entry works
Text version: How Express Entry Works
- Step 1:
- Fill out your Express Entry profile
- Be accepted into the Express Entry Pool
- Step 2:
- Get an invitation to apply
- Apply for permanent residence online
- Express your interest in coming to Canada as a skilled worker by creating an Express Entry profile and providing information about your skills, work experience, language ability, education and any other details.
- To qualify for the Express Entry pool, you must meet the criteria of at least ONE of three federal economic immigration programs:
Express Entry pool
- Once you submit your profile, you will get a score to determine your place in the pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System. The system considers skills, work experience, language ability, education and other factors (e.g., strong French language skills, having a sibling in Canada, or a valid job offer in Canada, etc.) that contribute to economic success for immigrants once in Canada.
- While in the pool, update your profile to reflect changes in status, e.g. language, education, family members, etc.
- We regularly invite top ranking candidates from the Express Entry pool to apply for permanent residence.
Need help finding a job?
- You can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank.
- Once in Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job.
- A Job Match account with Job Bank is an easy, online tool to help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills.
Step 2: Invitation to Apply
- You will be invited to apply if you:
- are nominated by a province or territory or
- are among the top ranked in the Express Entry pool based on your skills and experience.
- If you are invited to apply you have 60 days to submit an online application for permanent residence in one of these programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Express Entry streams of the Provincial Nominee Program
- We will process the majority of complete applications received within six months or less.
Provinces and territories = key partners
- You may qualify for a provincial or territorial nomination as part of Express Entry.
- Provinces and territories are able to nominate candidates who meet their regional labour market needs. Some provinces and territories search in the pool for candidates, while others require you to apply directly. Check their immigration website for your intended province of destination for more information on their requirements and to learn how to be considered for a nomination.
- If you are nominated through a Provincial Nominee Program, you will be invited to apply for permanent residence.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: