Application abroad for a travel document to return to Canada under A31(3) and R315

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

A completed application for a travel document to return to Canada under A31(3) together with a fee of $50 (as per R315) will initiate processing overseas.

Fee exemptions
No fee exemptions have been identified for this service.

A31(2)(b) provides that a person outside Canada who does not possess a status document (IMM 1000, IMM 5292B, PRC) indicating permanent resident status is presumed not to have permanent resident status.

What does a travel document allow?

The travel document facilitates the movement of clients who are outside Canada without a status document, but confers no status upon them. Possession of the travel document allows clients to travel to Canada and present themselves for examination at a port of entry without creating a presumption that they are entitled to enter.

A permanent resident outside Canada who is not in possession of a status document indicating permanent resident status shall, following an examination, be issued a travel document if the officer is satisfied that they have met the residency and other requirements contained in A28 and that the interests of any child involved have been addressed as per A28(2)(c).

Although the travel document indicates the status of the holder, it confers no status in and of itself. Commercial transporters carrying passengers who hold a Travel Document issued by CIC are not subject to penalties if those passengers prove to be inadmissible upon arrival in Canada.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: