Identity management: Acceptable translations to support a change of sex designation

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will change a client’s sex designation on a document and in the Global Case Management System (GCMS) when a clerical or administrative error is made by IRCC or when the client requests an amendment and provides the required documentary evidence.

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by

  • the English or French translation;
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Translations may be done by a person who is fluent in both languages (English or French and the unofficial language) and who is a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators in Canada. If the translation is not provided by such a member, it must be accompanied by an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves or by members of the applicant’s family. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

Taking an affidavit: who can do it?

In Canada:

  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits

Outside Canada:

  • a notary public

Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to provide an affidavit.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: