Students – Processing: COVID-19 program delivery

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

On this page

Requests for additional documents on applications in progress

Officers should refer to the General processing measures: COVID-19 program delivery instructions for new and existing temporary residence, permanent residence and citizenship applications in Canada and abroad.

Temporary residents in Canada

Temporary residents who are in Canada and who would normally be required to provide biometrics are temporarily exempted from the requirement to provide biometrics.

Requests to change DLIs after applying for a study permit

Outside Canada

A student may request to change their designated learning institution (DLI) after submitting their study permit application while the application is still in progress. The student may submit their new letter of acceptance via the IRCC web form.

If the student’s study permit has already been approved, the student must submit a new study permit application and pay the appropriate fees.

Inside Canada

Students engaging in post-secondary studies in Canada may transfer between institutions (both public and private) or change their course or program of study without applying for a change to the condition of their study permit, as long as the receiving institution is a DLI.

Students should notify IRCC through their MyAccount when they transfer to another DLI.

Students who transfer to a DLI that doesn’t have an approved COVID-19 readiness plan and decide to leave Canada may not be able to return if they are over 18 years of age but not fully vaccinated. If the student is under 18, they may not be able to return if their DLI is not on the approved COVID-19 readiness plan list.

Hong Kong student priority process

See Guidance for special measures to support Hong Kong residents to come to Canada for priority processing instructions on study permit applications for holders of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) or the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas (BNO).

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: