International Mobility Program: Domestic workers of foreign representatives

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Official status and accreditation may be granted to the domestic workers of certain high-level members of a diplomatic mission, consular post or international organization. A Household Domestic Worker Employment Agreement (HDWEA) must be submitted by the employer to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) Office of Protocol. The post must not issue a visa until the DFATD Office of Protocol has approved the contract. The domestic worker is designated as being in the employ of a foreign representative, and permission to work in Canada is granted pursuant to the paragraph 186(b).

Domestic workers must undergo an interview with a visa officer as well as an immigration medical examination prior to being issued a visa. For further instructions on the nature of the interview, contact the DFATD Office of Protocol.

See also the DFATD Office of Protocol’s policy on domestic workers along with the HDWEA template.

Page details

Date modified: