Work related to a research, educational or training program [R205(c)(i), (i.1) and (i.2)] (codes C31, C32 and C33)

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

As of June 15, 2014 (GCMS release), the labour market opinion (LMO) exemption code C30 is replaced by the codes C31, C32 and C33.

A work permit may be issued under subparagraphs R205(c)(i), (i.1) and (i.2) (LMO exemption codes C31, C32 and C33) to foreign nationals who:

  1. intend to perform work that is an essential part of a postsecondary academic, vocational or professional training offered by a designated learning institution in Canada (excluding positions in medical residency or medical fellowship positions with the exception of those in the field of veterinary medicine). The work cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study. (C32)
  2. intend to perform work that is an essential part of a program at the secondary level. This includes vocational training programs offered by a designated learning institution in Quebec and programs that require students to work in order to obtain their secondary or high school diploma or certificate of graduation. (C33)
  3. are special program students under the sponsorship of the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) when the intended employment is part of the student's program arranged by the CIDA.
  4. are coming to Canada to work temporarily for the International Development Research Centre of Canada.
  5. are sponsored by Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., as distinguished scientists or post-doctoral fellows.
  6. are sponsored by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) as distinguished scientists or scholars coming to participate in research for the NRC and the NSERC.
  7. are coming from Commonwealth Caribbean countries for training under the terms of the Official Development Assistance Program administered by the CIDA.
  8. are holders of research chair positions at a Canadian public post-secondary institution (e.g., college, university or a Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel [CEGEP] in Quebec) nominated for their research excellence, and partially or wholly funded by federal or provincial governments. This includes holders of Canada Research Chair (CRC) positions AND Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) positions.

Note: For the purpose of R205(c)(i.1) and (i.2) (codes C32 and C33), students are not eligible if they undertake general interest or preparatory courses, or work-study programs offered by professional or technical associations, or by institutions that primarily offer English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) programs.

In such case, the letter provided by the designated learning institution should establish clearly that the work is a normal component of the academic program which all participants are expected to complete in order to receive their degree, diploma or certificate. The most commonplace example would be undergraduate co-op programs at universities and colleges. An open work permit should be issued with the academic institution listed as the employer. In cases where several work periods are necessary throughout the academic course (e.g., five work terms and eight study terms for a degree), the work permit should be valid for the same period as the study permit.

Note: Officers should continue to use the exemption code C30 until the codes C31, 32 and 33 become available in GCMS.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: