Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student
We plan to expand our fingerprint and photo requirements
Outside Canada applicants
Study permit extensions
- Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply to extend your study permit if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Visitor visa extensions
- Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply to extend your stay if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Find out if these changes may apply to you.
In Canada applicants
Study permit or visitor visa extensions
- You may be temporarily exempt from giving biometrics for your extension application until 2019. This is when biometrics collection points will be established in Canada.
Use this application if you are in Canada temporarily as a student and you want to:
- extend your stay
- change the conditions of your stay
- change your type of temporary status
- correct problems with your status
Make sure you apply before your current status expires.
If you are in Canada and need to both extend your study permit and renew your temporary resident visa (TRV), submit a separate application for the new visa only after we approve the extension of your study permit.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5555] (PDF, 296.52KB) February 2017
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] (PDF, 488.83KB) June 2018
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 636.51KB) April 2015
- Custodian Declaration [IMM 5646] (PDF, 1.02MB) January 2015
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31KB) September 2015
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5552]
There are two ways you can change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a student.
- Apply online
- Apply on paper
To apply on paper:
- Read the instruction guide to help you fill out your application.
- Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down your application.
- Trouble downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As....” You can also find out more about downloading files in the Help Centre.
Fill out, validate, print, sign and date your application forms.
To make sure you submit all the pages:
Click the “Validate” button. This button is at the top and bottom of the form.
Note: Validate the form before you print it. This will help make sure you have answered all the questions. It will help avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper
- use a laser printer
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one. Find out more about the barcode form.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: