Unspecified sex (X) on documents
It will be possible to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on our documents. While we are working to put a new policy in place and update our systems, we can only print documents with male (M) or female (F) as the sex at this time. However, we can issue you a supporting document that says your sex is X (unspecified):
- when applying for your citizenship or immigration document, choose the sex that matches your passport, birth certificate, or foreign documents
- if you have a foreign passport with another sex marked on it (X, O, T etc.), you currently must choose either “M” or “F”
- apply for the supporting document once you:
- are in Canada
- have a valid document showing your status (work permit, study permit, PR card, etc.)
We will post more information when we can issue documents with an unspecified sex (X).
Get a supporting (X) document
There is no charge to apply for a supporting document.
This is open to anyone who has a citizenship or immigration document.
- fill out the request form (PDF, 102.34 KB)
- follow the instructions on the form
To be eligible, you must be in Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: