Unspecified sex (X) on documents

It will be possible to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on our documents. While we are working to put a new policy in place and update our systems, we can only print documents with male (M) or female (F) as the sex at this time. However, we can issue you a supporting document that says your sex is X (unspecified):

  • when applying for your citizenship or immigration document, choose the sex that matches your passport, birth certificate, or foreign documents
    • if you have a foreign passport with another sex marked on it (X, O, T etc.), you currently must choose either “M” or “F”
  • apply for the supporting document once you:
    • are in Canada
    • have a valid document showing your status (work permit, study permit, PR card, etc.)

We will post more information when we can issue documents with an unspecified sex (X).

Get a supporting (X) document

There is no charge to apply for a supporting document.

This is open to anyone who has a citizenship or immigration document.

To apply:

To be eligible, you must be in Canada.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: