Request for a citizenship or immigration document with an “X” in the sex field

In the future, we will be introducing an "X" in the sex field. Sign up for email updates on changing your sex to X (unspecified). Until this becomes available, you may request a supporting document, free of charge that will state:

“The sex of the bearer should read as “X”, indicating that it is unspecified”.


The supporting document is not valid for travel and cannot be used as an identity document.

When to apply:

If you already have a valid citizenship or immigration document:

  • You can apply for the supporting document at any time.

If you have applied for a new document (temporary residence document, application for permanent residence, citizenship certificate, renewal permanent resident card, etc.):

  • You must submit the request after your application is approved and you have received your document.

How to apply:

  1. Complete and sign the Request for a citizenship or immigration document with an "X" in the sex field (IMM 5657) (PDF, 102.34KB). All fields on the form must be complete. Incomplete forms will be returned without being processed.
  2. On the Request form, provide us with your valid email address or mailing address in Canada.
  3. Make sure your Request form has been witnessed and sworn in the presence of one of the following:
    • a notary public,
    • a commissioner of taking oaths, or
    • a commissioner of taking affidavits.
  4. Send your completed Request form to the following email address:


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: