Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Immigration applicants 

On this page

How COVID affects your immigration application

Answer a few questions and we’ll direct you to the information you need.

You need your application finalized

Follow the instructions in the letter. We'll send you

  • a permanent resident visa sticker in your passport (if you need one), and
  • a printed CoPR document

If your family makeup, or other details of your application have changed, do not travel. Use the web form to tell us about the changes. We'll tell you what to do next.

Find out more about travel requirements and exemptions.

You’re already a permanent resident and you need a travel document

You should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) if you

  • don’t have a valid permanent resident card, and
  • are outside of Canada and are ready to return.

You can travel to Canada if your situation is still the same

If your situation hasn't changed since we issued your COPR, you can use it to travel to Canada.

Do not travel if your family makeup, or other details of your application have changed. Use the web form to tell us about the changes. We'll tell you what to do next.

If you’re a citizen of a visa-required country

  • check that you have a visa sticker (counterfoil) in your passport
  • contact us using the web form if you don’t

As of June 21, 2021, you’re exempt from travel restrictions, no matter what date we issued your COPR, if you’re travelling to Canada with a valid COPR.

Make sure you use your COPR before it expires.

When we approve your application, you must travel to Canada to become a permanent resident before the expiry date on the COPR document. Once a COPR expires, if you still want to immigrate to Canada, you need to

  • submit a new permanent residence application
  • pay all fees, and
  • meet any requirements in effect when you apply again

You need to confirm your PR status virtually

Once we approve your permanent residence application, we’ll confirm your PR status.

You don’t have to do anything until we contact you using the phone number or email you provided. It’s important to let us know if your contact details have changed. Make sure you change your address online if you need to.

You must tell us if you leave Canada before we grant you PR status.

Use the web form if you need to update other contact information or tell us about changes to your family situation (for example, marriage, birth, divorce and death).

Confirm your PR status through the Permanent Residence Portal

You’ll get emails from a mailbox ending in

  • 1)  asking you to confirm you’re physically in Canada and
  • 2)  with information about the Permanent Residence Portal (and options if you can’t use it)

We may still ask to speak with you on the phone or to see you in person when offices are open, in some cases.

Find out more about the Permanent Residence Portal

We need to confirm your PR status through the PR portal if you or any of your dependants were

  • given a COPR outside Canada, and
  • were not confirmed as a PR (landed) when you entered Canada

In this case, you must tell us as soon as possible using our web form. Include each person’s name, UCI and the address where they currently live in Canada.

Permanent resident cards

Once you become a permanent resident, we’ll make an e-COPR available to you in the portal to provide proof of your new status in Canada. In this portal, we’ll also ask you to provide a photo so we can start the process of issuing your first PR card. You don’t need to apply for your first PR card.

While you wait for your PR card, you can use your signed e-COPR to

  • prove that you’re a permanent resident in Canada, and
  • apply for government benefits and services that you’re eligible for (for example, to apply for your social insurance number so you can work).

We’re still processing your application

If we haven’t sent you an official letter telling you that we made a final decision on your application, that means we’re still processing it.

  • This is true even if the status in your online account is "approved."
  • The official letter would have asked you to submit your passport or provide photos for your CoPR.

You don't need to do anything. We'll contact you if we need more information to process your application (updated medical results, police certificates, etc.).

You can use your valid documents to travel to Canada if you

  • have a valid study or work permit
  • have a valid visa in your passport, if you’re from a country where you need one and
  • are exempt from the current travel restrictions

If you’ve already applied, see the check your application status page to learn how

  • to check your application status
  • we’re processing applications during the pandemic New

Supporting documents for an application in progress

We no longer automatically give more time to send documents.

  • We’ll contact you to request the supporting documents.
    • This will happen in the next few months.
    • You’ll usually have 30 days from the date we contact you to submit the information. Check the request letter to make sure you know how long you have.
  • Start collecting your documents.
    • Do this before we contact you. It can take time to get some documents.
    • Check the last email we sent you to confirm what you need.
  • Don’t travel to another city or country to get the supporting documents.
  • If you have a reasonable explanation that shows you’re affected by COVID-19, we’ll consider extending your deadline.

Find out what to do if you still have documents to provide for your application.

If you get your language test results or educational credential assessment report by email or electronically, we’ll accept them as part of your application.

Progress bar removal

Starting March 26, 2021, until further notice we’re removing the progress bar in all Express Entry applicants’ online accounts.

You can still get the most current information about the status of your application by checking the Details about application status section in your online account.

Language testing organizations

Some language testing organizations have started scheduling tests again.

You may be able to take a language test depending on the:

  • designated testing organization
  • region where you want to take your test
  • language you’re being tested for

Language tests we accept:

Make sure you check the latest information about testing in your region.


Find more information about language testing

You haven’t applied yet

If you apply, you still need to submit a complete application. This means you must include all the supporting documents we ask for. If you can’t get a document because it’s delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can send proof that you’re trying to get it (like a receipt). Include a letter to tell us why you don’t have the document and when you’ll get it. Send us the document as soon as you have it to avoid more delays.

Don’t travel to another city or country to get supporting documents. We’ll consider extending your deadline if you have a reasonable explanation that shows you’re affected by COVID-19.

If you get your language test results or educational credential assessment report by email or electronically, we’ll accept them as part of your application.

How financial benefits affect family sponsorship

If you collect the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), you’re still eligible to sponsor your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or other relative as long as you meet all the requirements to be a sponsor.

CERB isn’t considered social assistance. Collecting CERB won’t make you ineligible to sponsor.

We recently put a temporary public policy in place which lets any family class sponsors who must meet income requirements count CERB in their income calculations for the 2020 tax year. This is in addition to other benefits:

EI and CERB won’t cause you to default

If the person you sponsored collects EI or the CERB during the undertaking period, it will not cause you to default.

However, if the person you sponsored collects social assistance during the undertaking period, you have to repay the amount. If you don’t, you’ll be in default of your undertaking.

COVID-19 information in multiple languages

The Public Health Agency of Canada website has resources in multiple languages to help you understand COVID-19. These include

  • factsheets
  • videos
  • recordings
  • infographics

You can find the languages of each resource under its description.

Please take a few moments to rate your experience (opens in a new tab) with this page.

Updates and related links

Page details

Date modified: