Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Landed permanent residents

COVID-19 border measures have ended

On October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine or isolation requirements, ended for all travellers entering Canada by land, air or sea.

We’re working to update the information on this page. Learn more about the changes to travel restrictions.

Travel information for landed permanent residents

You need a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to travel to Canada by commercial vehicle (for example, airplane, bus, train or boat).

If your PR card is expired or about to expire

If it’s expired or will expire when you’re travelling, renew your PR card before you leave. You can only renew your card in Canada.

You may be eligible for urgent processing of your PR card.

If you don’t get your new PR card in time, you must

If you’re already outside Canada without a valid PR card

If you’re outside Canada and your PR card is expired, you need to apply for a PRTD to return.

Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC). Due to COVID-19, some VACs are

Before you apply, check if your VAC is open and accepts PRTD applications.

If your VAC is open

If your VAC is open and accepting applications, find out how to apply for a PRTD.

Bringing family members to Canada

Your family members must meet the travel requirements and have a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

Learn more about

Travel information for permanent residents who haven’t landed

To finish the application process, you have to land as a permanent resident.

Find out what to do if we approved your application but you haven’t landed yet.

Getting started in Canada as a new immigrant

After you arrive in Canada, there are some things you should do.

Tell us where to send your first PR card

New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a PR card. We send one to you when you immigrate to Canada if you tell us your Canadian mailing address.

You have 180 days after immigrating to tell us your address. If we don’t get it in time, then you have to apply for your card.

Tell us your address

Get settlement services

As a newcomer to Canada, you and your family can get help adjusting to your new life. Settlement organizations can give you the information you need about:

Resettlement organizations provide services that address the specific needs of refugees.

For now, settlement and resettlement service providers are focusing on critical services because of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

You can still get other services but the format and availability will depend on the provider. For example, some service providers can offer critical and non-critical services by phone, email and online. Contact your local service providers to find out what’s available in your area.

Find settlement services near you

If you applied for Canadian citizenship

Find out how your Canadian citizenship application is affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) to get guidance on

Get COVID-19 information in multiple languages

The Public Health Agency of Canada website has resources in multiple languages to help you understand COVID-19. These include

You can find the languages of each resource under its description.

Please take a few moments to rate your experience with this page.

Updates and related links

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: