Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and visitors to Canada: Visitor visa applications
Visitor visa applications submitted before September 7, 2021
On this page
- If you applied before September 7, 2021, and you already told us that you qualify for a COVID-19 exemption
- If you don’t intend to travel to Canada right now
- If you no longer want to travel to Canada
If you applied before September 7, 2021, and you already told us that you qualify for a COVID-19 exemption
You do not need to submit a new application or write to us again.
We’ll process the application you submitted before September 7, 2021.
- It doesn’t matter if you applied via the IRCC Portal, via your IRCC secure account, or on paper.
We’ll send you an email if we need more information from you or when we reach a decision.
If your situation has changed since you submitted your visitor visa application
We recommend that you submit a new online application if
- you submitted your visitor visa application before September 7, 2021; and
- your situation has changed; and
- you’re travelling for one of the following reasons:
- to be reunited with an immediate family member who is a Canadian citizen, a person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or a permanent resident of Canada
- to be reunited with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily
- to be reunited with an extended family member who is a Canadian citizen, a person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or a permanent resident of Canada.
- to visit for business (meeting, special event, training)
- to attend an end-of-life ceremony or a funeral
- to be present during the final moments of life of a loved one
- to provide care to a critically ill person
- to join a vessel as a marine crew member
- to assume a posting as a diplomat or to travel as an accompanying immediate family member of a diplomat arriving on posting who will also be accredited in Canada
- to handle the affairs of a victim of Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752
Make sure to include up-to-date information and, if possible, your previous application number.
By submitting a new application, your previous visitor visa application will be withdrawn. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of a refund, and you won’t receive a written confirmation that your previous application has been withdrawn.
If you don’t intend to travel to Canada right now
There’s nothing else you need to do. Your application will remain in the queue for processing.
If you no longer want to travel to Canada
You can request a withdrawal via the web form. There is no guarantee that you will get a refund.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: