Caring for people with high medical needs program: Get your education assessed
- are the principal applicant, and
- got your educational credential outside Canada.
An ECA is used to check that your completed foreign educational credential is valid and equal to a completed post-secondary education credential of at least one year in Canada. This can be a degree, diploma, certificate or other proof of your education.
You do not need an ECA if you have a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year.
When you apply with a completed foreign educational credential, you must include an original ECA report along with proof of your completed foreign credential.
The report must:
- be issued on or after the date the organization was approved by IRCC,
- be less than five years old on the date that we get your application, and
- show that your completed foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary one of at least one year.
Your application will not be processed if you do not submit this assessment when you apply. Your application will be sent back to you.
Designated organizations for Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) approved by IRCC
You can get your assessment from any of these organizations:
How to get an Educational Credential Assessment
Choose a designated organization
Check the websites of the IRCC-approved organizations or contact them directly to find which one best suits your needs.
- what documents you need.
- how much it will cost. Costs may vary by organization.
- how long an assessment will take.
Once you have chosen an organization:
- gather all the documents they need,
- make sure that you ask your school for multiple copies of your diplomas/degrees, transcripts, etc.,
- follow any instructions given to submit the documents, and
- pay the fees.
What your report means
The organization will give you an original report that will tell you:
- whether your foreign credentials are valid, and
- if they are equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential.
If your assessment report shows that your completed foreign credential is equal to a Canadian post-secondary one of at least one year, you can apply through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway.
Submit your report
You must submit the original ECA report with your application. Do not request that your ECA report be sent to IRCC directly by the assessment organization.
Include copies of your diplomas/degrees, transcripts, etc.
Keep a copy of the report for your records and future use.
We will check any ECA report submitted with an application with the organization that produced the report.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: