Authorization to return to Canada: About the authorization


Entering Canada

You must be admissible in order to come to Canada.

A Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you apply for a visa or an electronic travel authorization.

A border services officer will decide if you can enter or transit through Canada when you arrive at a port of entry.

If you received a removal order from Canada, you may need an authorization to return to Canada (ARC) to be able to return to Canada.

Whether you need one depends on

  • the type of removal order we issued
  • if you complied with the requirements of the order

If you were removed from Canada because you were accompanying a family member who was removed from Canada, you don’t need an ARC to enter Canada.

Page details

Date modified: