Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot: How communities apply
How to apply
You must complete a Community Interest Form and submit all the required documents to apply. A complete application includes:
- a complete Community Interest Form
- an economic development plan written in the last 3 years (between 2016 and 2019)
- a letter of support from a municipal leader
- a letter of support from a local or regional immigrant-serving organization
Who must complete the application
Only organizations responsible for providing economic development services in the community can submit the application. This organization will manage the pilot for the community.
An economic development organization would have:
- economic development as a central part of their mandate
- an economic development or strategic plan, or would fall under a broader economic development plan
- available resources to manage the pilot
This organization could be:
- a community futures organization
- a chamber of commerce
- another independent or not-for-profit economic development organization
- a hybrid organization of a municipality and an independent board of directors made up of community stakeholders
Complete the Community Interest Form
The form asks questions about your community’s:
- local economy
- population, including size and official languages composition
- services and supports available to welcome and settle new immigrants
Your answers must show:
- that your community meets all the eligibility requirements
- why your community should be chosen
You’ll also have the opportunity to share recent immigration success stories from your community.
Make sure you complete all the required sections of the form.
Supporting documents or files
There are 3 documents you must include with your form:
- a community economic development plan written in the last 3 years (between 2016 and 2019)
- a letter of support from your municipal leader
- a letter of support from your local or regional immigrant-serving organization
You can also include other documents that support your application, like:
- letters of support from
- major employers
- community members
- demographic and economic data
You can send us documents or multimedia files. Make sure they support your answers on the form and show us why your community should be selected. If you want to include multimedia files in your application, send us an email to find out the best way to send them to us.
Letters of support
There is no template for the letters of support. They must show support from the municipal leader and local or regional immigrant-serving organization for the community’s participation in the pilot.
The application process is now closed
The deadline to submit your complete application was March 11, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. PDT. We are no longer accepting applications.
How to submit your application
There are 2 ways to submit your application.
Email the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot with your completed form and supporting documents or files.
Send your complete application to the address below:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Expression of Community Interest
Economic Immigration Policy and Programs
8th floor, Jean Edmonds Tower South
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1
You must also send us an email to say that a mailed submission is on the way.
Your envelope must be postmarked no later than March 11, 2019.
Questions about completing your application
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: