Ukraine immigration measures: Financial assistance

We’re giving financial assistance to help Ukrainian families who arrived in Canada under CUAET on or before March 31, 2024.

The assistance is a one-time, non-taxable benefit designed to take care of your basic needs while you get settled in Canada.

On this page

Who can apply

You can apply if

Deadline to apply: June 30, 2024

How to get the CUAET remark on your IMM 1442

If you’re in Canada under the CUAET but you’re missing the remark on your temporary resident document, you can apply for an updated document by following the instructions to apply for

When you apply, upload a letter stating “I am exempt from paying fees under the Ukraine special measures and my previous permit was missing the CUAET remark.” Then we can issue you a new permit with the CUAET remark.

Keep your information safe

You need your unique client identifier (UCI), IMM 1442 number and date of birth to apply for financial assistance. Do not share this information with anybody who is not a trusted source.

Don't fall victim to a scam. Learn

How to apply

There are 2 steps to apply for financial assistance:

  1. Open a Canadian bank account.
  2. Submit your application.

Step 1: Open a Canadian bank account

You need a bank account to apply for financial assistance. This is because the payment is made by direct deposit.

How to open a bank account

You need your

  •  temporary resident status document [IMM 1442]
    • This is your
      • visitor record
      • work permit
      • study permit
      • temporary resident permit
  •  passport

Then, when you apply for financial assistance, you give us your

Your bank can give you this information either with a

Most banks will ask you for a social insurance number (SIN)

However, if you plan to work in Canada, you will need a SIN.

(opens in a new tab)Apply for a SIN 

Learn more about opening a bank account in Canada (opens in a new tab) , including your rights and responsibilities.

Step 2: Submit your application

After opening a bank account, you can apply for financial assistance.

Along with your personal information, you need to provide your

Where to find your UCI and IMM 1442 numbers

See the sample images below for where to find these numbers on your

Unaccompanied minors need extra documents

If the application is for an unaccompanied minor, you need to upload a letter signed by the parents or legal guardian with the following information:

  • the parents’ or legal guardian’s address and telephone number
  • the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada

You also need to upload a copy of their temporary resident status document [IMM 1442]. It must include a remark that they’re here under CUAET.

Learn more about minor children travelling to Canada (opens in a new tab) .

Double-check your personal and banking information before you submit

We can’t update your information after you submit your application. If there’s a problem with your banking information, we’ll contact you.

Adults (18 years and older)

The name on your IMM 1442 document should be the name on your bank account.

Minors (17 years and under)

The name on the bank account should be the name of your parent or legal guardian in Canada.

Apply online now (opens in a new tab) 

After you apply

You’ll get a confirmation screen that tells you your application was successfully submitted. On your confirmation screen, there’s a confirmation number. Write it down or print the screen for your records.

How payments will be deposited

Payment will be made by direct deposit and is expected to take up to 5 business days. Your bank may take another 3 to 5 days to show the deposit in your account.

Due to a recent increase in applications, it may take longer to process some applications. If you don’t receive payment after 15 business days, you can contact us at the number below.

Adults (18 years and older)

If your application is approved, the payment will be deposited in your bank account.

Minors (17 years and under)

If your application is approved, the payment will be deposited in your parent’s or legal guardian’s bank account.

How much can you expect to receive

If you have problems with your payment

You can contact us at 1-833-760-1162 if you

  • haven’t received any money after 5 business days, and you’ve waited another 3 to 5 days for your bank to process the deposit
  • didn’t receive the right amount
  • need help with the application

We answer calls Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time.

We offer interpretation services in Ukrainian and Russian.

Page details

Date modified: