Child Tax Benefit

If you have children under 18, the Government of Canada may help you with the cost of raising them. This monthly, tax-free payment is called the Canada child benefit (CCTB).

The amount of this benefit is based on:

  • your family income
  • the number of children you have
  • your children’s ages
  • the province or territory where you live

When you apply, you must provide:

  • proof of your Canadian immigration status and
  •  proof of birth for any of your children born outside of Canada

Applying for the benefit

You must file an income tax return each year to get the CCB. If you have not been a resident of Canada long enough to file a return, you will need to complete a separate form to declare your world income.

You can get these forms and more information from the Canada Revenue Agency:

If you live in Quebec and your child was born before 2007, you will have to submit applications for child assistance and send any information about a change in your family situation directly to the Régie des rentes du Québec. If you live in Quebec and your child was born in 2007 or later, you do not have to submit an application because the Régie will be notified automatically. For more information, visit the Régie’s website.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: