Canada’s response to the situation in Afghanistan
Afghan refugees who have arrived in Canada, under all streams since August 2021
What we’re doing
The Government of Canada is working hard to resettle at least 40,000 Afghan refugees in Canada as quickly and safely as possible. We developed several special programs and measures that reflect the long and enduring relationship we have with Afghans, and to protect some of the most vulnerable groups in Afghanistan.
Through our special programs, we’ll bring to safety
- 5,000 Afghans through the permanent residence pathway for extended family members of former interpreters
- 18,000 Afghans through the Special Immigration Measures Program for Afghan nationals who closely assisted our efforts in Afghanistan
- a mix of government-assisted and privately sponsored Afghan refugees through the humanitarian program
- It’s now easier to sponsor Afghan refugees. Groups of five and community sponsors can sponsor Afghan refugees without having to submit a refugee status determination document (if this document isn’t available).
We’ll continue to explore other options and pathways to bring Afghans to Canada, such as the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot.
Learn about our special programs to resettle vulnerable Afghans to Canada
Learn about the special measures in place to support Afghans in Canada and abroad
Supports available for Canadian citizens and permanent residents currently in Afghanistan
We’re proud to be among the first countries to launch a humanitarian resettlement program for Afghan refugees, and we’re proud of what we’ve accomplished so far. Our commitment is one of the largest in the world, but we’re determined to do more to help vulnerable Afghans.
How our refugee system works
To welcome Afghan refugees, and help them adjust to life here in Canada, we’re working closely with
- provinces and territories
- settlement service providers
- private sponsors and stakeholders
Afghan refugees arrive in Canada as government-assisted or privately sponsored refugees. Learn more about how Canada’s refugee system works.
There are different ways Canadians can help. Find out how to volunteer, donate or sponsor an Afghan refugee.
Follow the journey
The situation in Afghanistan
Learn what Canada is doing about the situation in Afghanistan
Find out how Canada is working with international partners to support Afghans
Find out how the Canadian Armed Forces contributed to the evacuations
Government of Canada news
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: