Special measures for Afghan applications
Due to the situation in Afghanistan, special measures were put in place for certain types of applications to:
- prioritize processing under regular immigration programs for
- sponsoring certain family members (family reunification)
- permanent residence as a protected person in Canada
- permanent residence as a dependant of a resettled Afghan refugee
- temporary residence
- waive fees and/or certain requirements for
- citizenship documents, passports, and travel documents for Canadian citizens and permanent residents Afghan nationals abroad who are approved for permanent residence in Canada
- temporary residence applications for Afghan nationals
- accompanying their immediate family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- in Canada
These special measures ended on December 31, 2023 and are no longer in effect.
If you have a matter pending before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Find out how the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada is processing existing files for Afghan nationals.
- Date modified: