Government-Assisted Refugees Program

Information bulletin

Resettlement in Canada as a Government-Assisted Refugee

This bulletin provides information about the next steps in the application process, and gives you more information about Canada.

Under the Government-Assisted Refugees (GAR) Program, refugees are referred to Canada for resettlement by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or another referral organization. Individuals cannot apply directly.

You must register for refugee status with the UNHCR or state authorities to be considered by a referral organization.

A GAR’s initial resettlement in Canada is entirely supported by the Government of Canada or the province of Quebec. This support is delivered by non-governmental agencies called service provider organizations funded by IRCC.

GARs receive support for up to one year from the date they arrive in Canada, or until they are able to support themselves, whichever happens first.

1. Check processing times

2. After your case has been referred: get next steps

3. Prepare for arrival

Find out what you can expect when you arrive in Canada.


What kinds of fraud should newcomers watch out for?

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: