Electronic travel authorization

This is the Government of Canada’s official web page to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. It only costs CAN$7. Find out what it is and how to apply online.


Visitor visa and electronic travel authorization (eTA) requirements for citizens of Mexico changed on February 29, 2024, at 11:30 p.m. ET

As of 11:30 p.m. ET on February 29, 2024,

  • you need to meet new requirements to be eligible for an eTA
  • if you had an eTA before 11:30 p.m. ET on February 29, 2024, it has been cancelled unless you also have a valid work or study permit
  • if you have an eTA application in progress at the time, you need to apply for a new eTA or for a visitor visa
  • before you travel to Canada, you need to apply for a new eTA if you’re eligible
  • if you’re no longer eligible for an eTA, you need to apply for a visitor visa to travel to Canada

Learn more about the new requirements.

Services and information

Find out about eTAs and if you can apply

العربية, 廣東話(繁體字), 普通話(繁體字), Български, English, Español, Filipino, Français, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Magyarul, Italiano, 日本語, 한국어, Polski, Português, Português (Brasil), ภาษาไทย

Apply online for an eTA

To apply, you must have a valid passport, a credit or a debit card and an email address, and you must answer a few questions in the online application.

What to do after you apply

What to expect if we need more details from you, and things to keep in mind after you receive an eTA

Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport

How to apply for a passport, and why you need a passport and not an eTA for travel to or through Canada

Check your eTA status

Get online updates on pending applications as well as information on the status of your current eTA


Flying to Canada?

Find out how easy it is to apply online. Learn how to get your eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

Page details

Date modified: